Milan is the city of fashion and happy hours. Milan is the city of the Madonnina and Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper. Milan is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Italy. Even though the Lombard capital is often referred to as a gray and hectic city, its center has a unique charm on the many tourists who come here from all over the world: the city is rich in beauty and places to discover. If you are wondering what the best way is to visit the capital of Lombardy, the answer is simple: on foot. A walking tour in Milan will allow you to appreciate every corner at its best.
Why discover Milan on foot
The capital of Lombardy is a very crowded city, and the center is a huge ZTL area (Limited Traffic Zone): these are the main reasons why visiting Milan on foot is the best choice.
We don’t recommend that you get caught up in the city traffic and wade through the various permits required to enter the city. The best choice is to leave your car in one of the many parking exchanges and reach the center by subway.
From that moment on, walking through the streets of Milan will be fun and enjoyable. Moving on foot between the various attractions of the city will allow you to observe the rich store windows, to take pictures and to see corners that otherwise you would never have had the opportunity to discover.
If you want to visit the Lombard capital in depth you will need time, but two days in Milan, to start, can be enough.
Obviously, one of the walks not to be missed is the one along the Navigli at sunset: the colors are beautiful, and the time is perfect to enjoy the typical Milanese happy hour!
What to see absolutely during a walking tour in Milan
During a stay in the city there are some unmissable stops that you absolutely must include in your itinerary. Below we suggest 6 places that, in our opinion, you should not miss during a walking tour in Milan among the main attractions.
- The Duomo of Milan: the symbol of the city and one of the most fascinating examples of Gothic architecture in Italy.
- The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci: inside the convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie there is one of the most famous works of the Tuscan genius. We advise you to book your visit well in advance.
- Castello Sforzesco: a military citadel that has accompanied the history of the city for about 750 years.
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele: Milan’s “good parlor”.
- The Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio: the second most important church in the city.
- The Navigli: the heart of Milan’s nightlife.
What to absolutely taste during a walking tour of Milan
You can’t end your visit to Milan without first tasting the delicacies of its traditional cuisine.
One of the reasons why we suggest you explore the city on foot is precisely the possibility of stopping whenever you want to taste some delicacies: you can stop for lunch in a typical tavern, make a quick stop for a snack and choose your favorite place for an aperitif.
Do Eat Better Experience: the gastronomic walking tours of Milan
If we have convinced you and you have decided to visit the Lombard capital on foot, we invite you to participate in one of our walking food tours of Milan.
What is so special about them? The possibility of discovering the city while tasting its gastronomic specialties.
We have designed three tours for you.
- The Milan Gourmet Tour takes place in the Brera and Duomo areas and includes gourmet tastings in real gourmet boutiques. Are you ready to taste the most amazing stuffed potatoes ever?
- The Milan Aperitif & Street Food Tour is the perfect walking tour of Milan to get to know the culture of the happy hour. We will be at the Navigli and between a cocktail and a glass of wine we will taste platters of cold cuts and cheeses and excellent sandwiches.
- The Milan Patisserie Tour, finally, is the right choice for those with a sweet tooth. The tour takes place in the central streets of Milan among the best pastry shops of the city. The expected tastings? Panettone, marron glacé and… many other delicacies!
All our tours are led by local experts who not only know their city like the back of their hand, but also love it deeply. Each tour is indeed driven by pure passion: we’re sure you’ll notice and have a great time!
If you have decided to join us, choose the tour you prefer and then send us an email to email@example.com or contact us via WhatsApp at +39 329 17.90.647 to reserve your place.
We are waiting for you!